Monday, August 11, 2014

Make Your Own Blanket



I will begin this post by admitting that I am NOT a great seamstress. A couple years ago I decided I needed to develop some homemaking skills. Sewing was on the list of things I desired to work on and I have begun to enjoy it.

In preparation for our big Disneyland trip I took Lyla to the store to pick her own fabric for her blanket. She of course chose a fabric with all of her very favorite Disney princesses. It was actually pretty hard to convince her to let me sew a blanket she loved the fabric so much.

Here is a short tutorial.

For this blanket I had 1 1/2 yards of each fabric. Begin by pinning the 2 fabrics together with their correct sides facing each other. Make sure to use a lot of pins! Sew around almost the entire blanket, but leave a 4 inch gap to flip the blanket.
 After the blanket is flipped, sew the opening shut.

 Next for the trim, measure the length of your blanket and cut four strips of fabric. For this blanket I chose an 8 inch width for each strip. Then iron each strip as shown in the picture above. Then sew the four strips together along the edges.
 Carefully pin each strip around the edge of the blanket. It always nice to have a cute helper handing you pins.
 There are a lot of different ways to do corners. I do a cheater way that I fold it over and pin it. (See picture below)
For this blanket I thought it would be fun to do a whimsical design along the trim. It ended up being a fun activity for us to do together and Lyla loves her princess blanket made by her mommy.

1 comment:

  1. This was the perfect blanket at Disneyland! Glad you made it in time for our "Princess" trip.

    ReplyDelete