Thursday, September 11, 2014

Children's Book Review: Cinder Edna

One of the reasons I wanted to start a blog was to share my love of Children's books! My mother was a collector of Children's books and read us stories every night. I loved listening to her read. Maybe I am being a little "judgy", but all children's books are not created equal. There are a lot of lame books out there. I hope my suggestions will give you something new to check out that week at the library and read your children at night. The power books have to teach and educate children is incredible, and we should read to them out of the best books.

My first review had to be of my very favorite book called, Cinder Edna. When i was in 6th grade I entered the Youth Storytelling Festival Competition with this story and won... so yeah it is that good. Or I was just adorable back then...  
Brief Synopsis
 This book tells the side-by-side story of two girls, living with their stepmothers, named Cinder Ella and Cinder Enda. It compares each of their lives and reactions to work and adversity. When the invitation comes to go to the ball Cinder Ella has her fairy godmother take care of her. While Cinder Enda buys a dress from the extra money she earned mowing lawns and takes the bus to the ball. They both meet a prince, brothers Randolf and Rupert, and have to escape by midnight. Randolf searches for Cinder Ella with her missing shoe and Rupert searches the phone book since he actually knows Cinder Edna's name. In the end both marry, but guess which one lives happily ever after.

Lessons 
 I like that this book teaches kids about working hard and having a good attitude even when life is hard. Both girls where in the same situation but Cinder Edna decided that instead of crying by the cinders, she would go out and make something more of her life.  It teaches about independence and not relying totally on others to make your dreams happen. It also shows that being a Princess may not be a good as it sounds.

Audience
I would say this book is great for 3+ mainly because it is a little bit longer. The pictures are really fun and well done. I was surprised when my 21/2 year-old sat through all of it without a peep and then begged for it again.

Enjoy reading and have a great weekend!

-Bre


1 comment:

  1. I remember you doing this at the storytelling competition!!!

    ReplyDelete