Monday, September 15, 2014

Finding Your Local Happy Place

 When we first moved to Chesapeake I was a little disappointed by the lack of things to do around me. I really grew to love all the parks around me in Richmond. Here it feels like I drive a half hour to get anywhere! Then a friend of my mine told us about a bunch of farms down the road from us that sold vegetables, homemade ice cream, and allowed kids to visit their animals. Our favorite one is called Bergey's Breadbasket.

We go there quite often and I am excited for all of the fun fall things they are going to start doing in preparation for Halloween. Lyla was pretty scared of all the animals, but she got over it and we will pet them a little. She mainly love to talk and sing to them.


As much as I HATE moving, I do love finding and experiencing new places. That is part of the process of rebuilding your life and making your community feel like home to you. I remember one afternoon feeling extremely home sick and sitting on a bench while Lyla played in this sandbox at the farm. Looking at the fields and the trees really calmed by lonely heart that day. I've learned something really valuable is this last year of being a mom: get out of the house. It is harder to get out of the house and finding free things to do can be difficult. But you just just need to get out because you will be so much happier. At least it works for me and helps me not to go crazy!
Who doesn't love homemade ice cream? I hope all of you can find a local gem around you that can be a great place for fun. I think this week I am going to find another! 

Wishing you all happy thoughts!

-Bre

2 comments:

  1. Bre, I tried commenting on my phone when I linked from Rachel's blog but it wouldn't let me. Oh how I remember those days as a young mother with not a spare dime to spend. You are so wonderful to find local things. We did a lot of that too, but you get to leave a record of it with your blog. That is fantastic. I love the Princess wall and all of her princess dresses!! You will never believe what Jessica brought me today - a full size adult Elsa costume -MADE BY DISNEY! It is identical to the girls' just not as full. I couldn't believe it. I was just complaining at Christmas time about them not making adult costumes. Swoon, swoon! You need to find one. It was at Wal Mart.

    ReplyDelete